Using the Audience Module to Track Viewers
In this topic you will learn how the Audience module can be used to track viewer activity.
The Audience module provides the ability to track viewing activity. In this scenario, viewing data is not sent to a marketing automation platform. One common use case for this would be internal training videos. Audience tracking can be used to track the viewing activity of internal employees. To use Audience tracking, the following steps are required:
- Configure the Audience tracking settings
- Configure a player and lead form for Audience tracking
- View video data
Configuring the Audience tracking settings
To configure the Audience tracking settings, follow these steps:
- Open the Audience module and then click Data Connections in the left navigation.
- Locate the AUDIENCE TRACKING section and click Show.
- By default, Audience tracking is enabled for all accounts. Edit the settings as needed:
- Connection Name - Identifies the connection
- Connection Status - Determines if Video Cloud video engagement data is saved by the Audience module.
- Enabled - Data is collected
- Disabled - No data is collected (connection is disabled)
- Track Data for Unknown Viewers - Determines if tracking data is recorded for unknown viewers. To identify viewers when using Audience tracking, an Audience lead form can be used.
Note: With Audience tracking, up to 1,000 viewers will be tracked per 24 hour period.
Configuring a player and lead form for Audience tracking
Viewing activity can only be tracked when videos are viewed inside of an Audience-enabled video player. You must use an Audience-enabled player when using Audience Tracking. Lead forms can be displayed during video playback to capture viewer information. Lead forms are not required when using Audience tracking.
To configure Audience Tracking with an Audience-enabled player and lead form, follow these steps:
- Click Audience Players in the left navigation.
- Determine which Audience-enabled player to use. If no Audience-enabled players exist, click Create Player to create one. For more information on creating Audience-enabled players, see Creating an Audience-enabled Player.
- While a lead form is not required, lead forms can be used to collect information about the viewer and turn anonymous viewers into known viewers. Click Lead Forms and create a lead form. For more information on creating lead forms, see Creating an Audience Lead Form.
- Click Audience Players.
- Locate the Audience-enabled player to use. Set the Connect To value for the player to Audience Tracking.
- If a lead form is being used, select the lead form from the Lead Form dropdown list.
Viewing video data
There are several options available for viewing video data when using Audience Tracking:
- Viewer Activities (Events) - Provided as part of the Audience module, this option can be used to view video data inside the Audience module. For information, see Viewing Player Events in the Audience Module.
- Viewer Profiles - Provided as part of the Audience module, this option can be used to view video data based upon a user profile value inside the Audience module. For information, see Viewing Viewer Profile Information.
- Export Data - Provided as part of the Audience module, this option can be used to export video view and lead data. For information, see Exporting Data from the Audience Module.
- Audience API - The Audience API can be used to programmatically retrieve video view and lead data. For information, see Overview: Audience API.