Quick Start: Creating and Publishing a Portal Experience
The purpose of this Quick Start is to show you how you can create an engaging portal experience using Brightcove Gallery.
After completing this Quick Start, you should be able to:
- Configure Gallery settings
- Use Gallery to create a new portal experience
- Customize a portal experience
- Add videos to a portal experience
- Preview and publish a portal experience
Note: For a step-by-step guide to creating an in-page experience, see Quick Start: Creating and Publishing an In-Page Experience.
Any Video Cloud publisher who needs to create engaging portal experiences without the need for any type of custom development.
Using the Quick Start assets
If you would like to follow along using the sample videos provided with this Quick Start, perform the following steps.
- Download the sample files.
- Upload the videos to your Video Cloud account.
- Add a tag of 'bird in flight' to the Chickadee video.
- Create three playlists and add the videos to the playlists as follows.
Video Playlist Clown Fish
Sea Creatures Chickadee
- Using the Players module, create a new Brightcove Player called Gallery Player.
Creating a portal experience
To create a portal experience using Brightcove Gallery, you will complete the following tasks:
- Configure Gallery with your Video Cloud read token and player
- Create a new portal experience
- Change the theme
- Add objects to a page template
- Create collections and add videos to the collections
- Customize the social settings
- Customize the discovery settings
- Preview and publish the experience
Configuring Gallery with your Video Cloud read token and player
Brightcove Gallery needs your Video Cloud account API read token so that it can access the videos and playlists that are in your Video Cloud account. You also need to select a default video player that will be used on your Gallery sites. To configure Gallery with your API read token and player, follow these steps.
- Login to Video Cloud Studio.
- The current Video Cloud account name will appear in the upper right corner of the page. If you have multiple accounts, click the account selector drop down and select the account you would like to create the experience in. Note that this should also be the account that has the videos you want to use as well.
- Click Gallery in the navigation menu.
- When first getting started, you will be prompted to enter your Video Cloud API read token and select a player. Click that link or click the Settings link.
- You will be directed to enter your API read token. Click the Account Settings link.
- The Video Cloud Studio API Management Account Settings will open in another browser tab. Locate the read token with URL Access and click on the Copy icon.
Note: You must use the read token with URL Access in order for the site map to generate the video location information.
Note: To learn more about API tokens or how to create a read token if you need one, see Managing Media API Tokens.
- Close this browser tab and return to Gallery. Paste your read token into the API read token field.
- Click Save.
- Click Players in the left navigation.
- Select the player that will be used on your Gallery sites. If you are following the steps in this Quick Start, select the Gallery Player you created earlier.
Note: As a best practice, we recommend you create and style a dedicated player for your Gallery sites.
- Click Save.
Creating a new portal experience
To create a new Gallery portal experience, follow these steps.
- Click the Experiences link at the top of the page.
- Click New Experience.
- Click the Portal link at the top of the page. A list of portal templates will be displayed. Locate the Mosaic template and click Choose.
Note: Once you select a template it can't be changed. For more information Gallery templates, see the Overview of Gallery Templates topic.
- Enter an Experience Title and Experience Description. For the Pre-Populate experience? setting, select No thanks.
- Click Create Experience.
The Gallery Site Editor will open. The experience title will appear at the top of the page. For more information on changing the title, see Configuring site description settings.
Changing the theme
The Gallery Site Editor is used to customize the experience and provides the ability to manage page layouts, videos, styles, social settings, discovery settings, general site settings and calls to action.
The Style settings can be used to customize the site colors and fonts that are used on the experience. To change the site styles, follow these steps.
- Click the Styles icon in the left navigation.
- Click the Theme link and then click the Triton theme.
For more information on changing the site style, see Customizing the Style of a Portal Experience.
Adding objects to a page template
Each portal template provides a set of page templates that can be customized. The page templates that are provided depend upon the portal template that was selected. The Mosaic template provides Home and Category page templates. These pages can be seen in the left margin.
To add objects to a page template, follow these steps.
- Click the Pages icon in the left navigation.
- Click the Home page in the left margin. Pencil icons () indicate areas on the page that can be edited.
- At the top of the page, click on the SITE NAME OR LOGO area.
- Select the Upload option and then click Save. An +Add Photo placeholder will be added to the page.
- Click on the +Add Photo placeholder.
- Click Choose File and then browse and select Animal World Logo.png. This file is provided as part of the sample assets. Click Save.
- Verify that the image appears in the page header.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page. Click on [YOUR BRAND]. Enter Animal World for the title and then click Save.
- Click on the Category page in the left margin. Notice that the header image and title text appear on that page as well. Go back to the Home page.
For more information on adding objects to page templates, see Customizing the Content of Portal Experience Pages.
Creating collections and adding videos to the collections
Using the Gallery Site Editor, you can select which videos to display on the portal. When creating a portal experience, videos are organized into collections. Collections are created based upon Video Cloud video metadata and can include:
- Video Cloud playlists
- Custom metadata
Videos from a YouTube account can also be added to collections. For more information on creating collections and adding video to your site, see Adding Videos to a Portal Experience.
To add videos to a portal site, follow these steps.
- Click the Videos icon in the left navigation.
- Name the collection Birds and then press enter.
- Click the collection name.
The collection editor will open.
- Select Video Cloud for the Collection Source and select Playlist for the criteria.
- Click the Birds playlist. All of the videos in the Birds playlist will appear in the videos list. Click Save.
Note: When using a playlist video assignment, the order of the videos is based upon the playlist settings that were set in the Media module.
- Create another collection named Animals using the Animals playlist as the criteria.
- Create another collection named Sea Creatures using the Sea Creatures playlist as the criteria.
- Create another collection named Birds in Flight. Select the Custom as the criteria.
- For the videos to include, select Tags and add a tag of 'bird in flight'. Press enter.
- Order videos by Most Recent.
- Confirm the the Chickadee video appears in the Video Collection list. Click Save.
- Confirm that 4 collections have been created.
Note: You can change the order of the collections by clicking and dragging the collection to a new position.
Customizing the social settings
The social settings provide viewers a way to easily share your content to popular social media sites. You can also provide a way for viewers to quickly access your social media sites. For more information on customizing the social settings, see Customizing the Social Settings for a Portal Experience.
To configure the social settings, follow these steps.
- Click the Social Settings icon in the left navigation.
- Click the Video Sharing link.
- Select the Dark icon on light option.
- Select all of the Sharing Options. These options will appear next to the player when the site is published.
- Click the Stay Connected link at the top of the dialog. By supplying your social media account information, the Gallery site will display icons in the footer of pages giving viewers direct access to your social media sites.
- Enter your social media information or just enter brightcove for the Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and LinkedIn sites.
- Select the Light icon on dark option.
- Click Done to save the settings.
Customizing the discovery settings
By configuring the discovery settings, you can configure the site description settings and add site search capabilities. For more information on customizing the discovery settings, see Customizing the Discovery Settings for a Portal Experience.
To configure the discovery settings, follow these steps.
- Click the Discovery icon in the left navigation.
- Click the Site Description link.
- The Name and Site Description will display the values entered when the project was created. Add the following Keywords:
- Animal World, birds, animals
- Animal World, birds, animals
- Click the Site Search link at the top of the dialog. By enabling site search, search capabilities will be added to the site pages giving viewers a way to search your content.
- Check the Enable Search option.
- Click Done to save the settings.
Note: The site map will not be available until the experience is published.
Previewing and publishing the experience
Previewing an experience lets you see how the portal is going to display on mobile, tablet and desktop devices. The portal can be previewed in a new browser tab or a shareable link can be generated so others can preview the portal. For more information on previewing and publishing a portal experience, see Previewing and Publishing a Portal Experience.
To preview and publish the experience, follow these steps.
- Click Preview and then click Responsive Preview.
Note: The experience can also be previewed on the Experiences page by selecting the experience and then clicking Preview.
- The preview will open in a new browser tab.
- Close the site preview tab.
- To publish the experience, click Publish or from the Gallery homepage, click the Publish link that is associated with the experience.
Note: When portal experiences are created, a random, static URL is assigned to the site. For information on using your own custom domain for the site, see Configuring Custom Domains and SSL.
- On the Publish Confirmation dialog, click Publish Now to confirm the site publication.