Configuring Player Content Restrictions
In this topic you will learn how to configure the content restriction properties using the Players module.
The player Content Restriction properties can be used to restrict a player to particular countries, or block a player from particular countries. Domain restrictions can be added to a player to limit the domains where the player can be used.
To view and edit the Content Restriction properties for a player, open the Players module, click on a player name and click Content Restriction in the left navigation menu.
Note: Any changes made to a player may take up to 5 minutes to appear in published players.
Configuring domain restrictions
Domain restrictions can be set on players to limit the domains where players can be used. If the player publishing code is copied and used on another site, domain restrictions would prevent the player from loading any videos. Publishers must use the in-page embed code to actually get playback working on those domains that have been whitelisted. Publishers cannot use the iframe embed code on a whitelisted domain (or any other domain) and expect playback to function properly.
To configure a domain restriction for a player, follow these steps:
- Enter one or more complete domain URLs (such as http://www.brightcove.com or https://www.brightcove.com) to restrict your player's availability to these particular domains. Be sure to include either http:// or https://. Click +.
- Click Save to save the changes.
Note: If using domain restrictions, you configure domain restrictions for all players in your account. If you don't, you're vulnerable to someone taking the policy key from an unprotected player and using it to play any video.
Note: While there is no limit on the number of domains that can be added in Studio, there is a limit on the length of the URL for the API request - included in that URL will be the comma-delimited list of domains. Therefore there is a limit on the number of domains that can be specified, but the number will depend on how long the domain names are.
Configuring geo filtering
Geo filtering can be used to control which countries can, and cannot, use a player.
To set the geo filtering properties for a player:
- Select Allow viewing from the following countries or Prevent viewing from the following countries.
- Enter the appropriate country names. As you type, the country list will be filtered.
- Click on a country and then press enter to add it to the list.
- Click Save.