Types of errors
There are six main types of errors which are briefly described in this section. You can click on the error type to see the specific errors for each type, if applicable.
- Standard errors dispatched from the Errors Plugin: These error names start with MEDIA_ERR.
- Custom errors defined by Brightcove and dispatched from the Errors Plugin: These error names start with PLAYER_ERR.
- Errors dispatched from the Video Cloud catalog: These error names start with VIDEO_CLOUD_ERR. Of course, Brightcove Player customers will never see these errors.
- Errors dispatched from the HLS plugin: All of these errors have the same type, APPEND_BUFFER_ERR, and the message is retrieved from the browser's native error.
- Errors reported in the browser Development Tools Console: These errors are developer oriented as they will only be see in a browser's Console.
- Custom errors that are user defined and dispatched by the Errors Plugin: These error names are defined by the user, for example AGE_GATE_ERROR.
For complete details see the Standard errors section of the Display Error Messages Plugin document.
||The video download was canceled||You aborted the media playback.|
||The video connection was lost, please confirm you're connected to the Internet||A network error caused the media download to fail part-way. Currently most helpful for MP4 and/or progressive download video formats. See the Known issues section of the Display Error Messages Plugin document for details.|
||The video is bad or in a format that can't be played on your browser||The media playback was aborted due to a corruption problem or because the media used features your browser did not support.|
||This video is either unavailable or not supported in this browser||The media could not be loaded, either because the server or network failed or because the format is not supported.|
||The video you're trying to watch is encrypted and we don't know how to decrypt it||The video you're trying to watch is encrypted and we don't know how to decrypt it.|
||N/A||An unanticipated problem was encountered, check back soon and try again.|
Custom Brightcove errors
For complete details see the Custom errors section of the Display Error Messages Plugin document.
||No video has been loaded.|
||Could not download the video.|
||This video is restricted from playing on your current domain.|
||This video is restricted at your current IP address.|
||This video is restricted from playing in your current geographic region.|
For complete details see the Catalog errors section of the Player Catalog document.
||The player has been configured with an invalid Video Cloud account ID.|
||The default playlist ID is invalid.|
||The default video is invalid.|
||The Video Cloud video is not playable.
Frequent causes of this error include when a video ID is deactivated or when the scheduled availability has expired.
HLS plugin errors
For complete details see the Errors section of the HLS Plugin document.
|HLS Plugin Error||Description|
||The browser threw an error playing back an HLS video.|
These errors would appear in a console looking something like this:
||You see this because for the IMA3 plugin to function properly it needs to be loaded right after player initialization, before any other plugins are initialized. See the Implement using code section of the IMA3 Plugin doc for the solution.|
Custom user errors
For complete details see the Adding custom errors section of the Display Error Messages Plugin document. There are no standard custom user errors.