This topic explains options for delivering ads with HTML5 players.
HTML5 Ads are available to all advertising-enabled accounts, but are not turned on by default. To enable ads for HTML5 players go to the Video Cloud Studio home page, click Account Settings, and edit the HTML5 Advertising settings to opt in:
Also, HTML5 players must be enabled. HTML5 ads will automatically be disabled if HTML5 players are disabled. HTML5 players are enabled in all accounts by default, so there is nothing you need to do unless you have disabled them.
Options for Advertising in HTML5 Players
Advertising in HTML5 players all depends on the ad server you are using.
- FreeWheel, Tremor, VideoPlaza have an ad plugin for HTML players. Talk to your account manager at these companies to get the details on setting up the ad plugin in the Video Cloud publishing module.
- DoubleClick for Publishers (DFP) also has an ad plugin — see Using DoubleClick for Publishers to Deliver Ads with HTML5 for more details.
- Adap.tv, SAS, stickyADStv, and YuMe use the VAST Server ad source. Talk to your account manager at these companies to get the details on using their ad source and read through Using the VAST Server Ad Source — Publishers.
If you don't see your ad server listed above, there may be a solution that's just not listed yet. Please check with the ad server company to determine what level of support they have. You can also check out the following:
- Use the VAST Server ad source — see Using the VAST Server Ad Source — Ad Partners and Using the VAST Server Ad Source — Publishers. The ad partner should handle the details in the first document and give you the correct ad server URL based on it.
- Sign up with one of Brightcove's Advertising Partners and follow the instructions provided by the partner on setting HTML5 ads — note that some partners may not yet offer a solution for HTML5; your Account Manager can help direct you to an ad partner who will have a solution for you.
Types of Ads Supported
The types of ads supported all depend on the ad source or ad plugin being used. Please refer to your ad server's documentation or the documentation above for the details. Video ads are the base level of support that can be expected from all integrations, but many also support overlays and banners.
The insertion points supported also depend on the ad source or ad plugin being used. Pre-rolls ads are the base level of support that can be expected from all integrations, but mid-roll and post-roll ads are often supported as well. On-load ads are usually not available given that video ads of this type can't be supported on iOS due to platform limitations. There is a separate document that discusses the complications of HTML5 mid-rolls ads.
Troubleshooting HTML5 Ad Issues
- You can append the URL parameter
forceHTML=true to the page URL to force loading the HTML5 player even on systems and devices that support Flash
- You can also append the URL parameter
- If you do not see anything related to advertising in the console logs, make sure your account has been enabled for HTML5 ads and that you have ads enabled for the player you are editing.
- If you see a message about the ad call failing in the console logs and you are using DFP or the VAST Server ad source, make sure you discuss with your ad company whether they follow the Ad server requirements described in in Using the VAST Server Ad Source — for Ad Partners.